Monday, July 28, 2014

Challenge Week #5

Can you believe it?  This week brings us to the half way point of our Learning Challenge.  I can't say enough how much I appreciate you taking time out of your summer to participate in the challenge.  I think last week's challenge was my personal favorite so far.  I really enjoyed hearing about how each of you spend time reflecting.  Thanks so much to all who shared.  I know as the facilitator your submissions really helped me learn more from and about each of you.  Okay, on to this week's challenge...

The Challenge this week has two parts: 

Part 1:  Listen to, view, or subscribe to an educational podcast. Podcasts  (click on the word for the definition) are great way to fit Professional Development into our busy lives.  My husband (who is not in education and not into technology like me) has been listening to podcasts for around 5 years. When I told him that Podcasts were the challenge this week he wanted me to share how easy they are to access.  They are also a learning tool that allows him to keep current in his field during his hour and a half commute, on a treadmill, or mowing our huge lawn. My point, they are a great way to meet the needs of multiple learning styles, schedules and are relevant across all disciplines.

There are many platforms to use to access podcasts but iTunes, Pod-o-matic, and Stitcher are the most popular. For the challenge I'd like you to search for a podcast that can help you in your work.  If you are unsure where to begin, I suggest any of the following:

EduAllStars This is a podcast that was co-started and co-hosted by our friend @TechNijaTodd


So spend some time this week learning through audio and video from others!  Did I not include a podcast you love?  By all means, use it and share it with us when you complete the challenge by filling out the Google form here.

Part 2:  Learn how to create your own podcast or teach your students to create one.
This part is optional but I would still  like you to view this video my Twitter friend Brad Gustafson created.  It is a nice introduction to getting started with podcasting . Click here to view his quick tutorial.  In the video Brad also mentions his podcast #30SecondTake.  Click here to see one of the face offs.  I love this idea and can see so many applications in our own classrooms and work.  

For those who want to create podcasts without video you can view this tutorial on the tool Vocaroo from Richard Byrne.  Richard has an amazing webpage called Free Technology for Teachers that has a wealth of resources on all things digital.  Check it out here.

Happy Podcasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment